Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? Whether they were owned by a passed family member or you decided to upgrade your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus throwing them away.
There are several organizations that collect and distribute used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are plenty of people who need them. Keep reading to discover how and why to donate pre-owned hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the overall population, around 14% suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are over 50 years old
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help almost 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually make use of hearing aids
- The general age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because health problems like cognitive decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been connected to untreated hearing loss. In fact, new research comes out every day showing how crucial hearing is to your general health. These health problems can be eliminated and in certain instances reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be an extremely compelling point. But that expense can actually be lessened by up to 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a huge effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and health. It might also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could affect their ability to get into higher education and make a livable wage when they’re older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and dispensed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.